Museum Village is a 19th century open-air museum that houses thousands of historic artifacts in approximately 20 buildings. We are strongly committed to education and offer engaging hands-on workshops and activities. In addition, our exhibits illustrate the transition from a rural to an industrial culture and economy in America, provoking thought and discussion about history.
Activities & Experiences
- Use a mortar and pestle in the Vernon Drug Store. Grind that mint up for your upset stomach.
- Churn butter in the Log Cabin. Give it a taste. Nothing like the flavor of fresh-churned butter.
- Use our Kelsey printing press in our Print Shop. Make your own copy.
- Learn about natural dyes in our Weave Shop. Take home a naturally dyed bracelet and if you want to add a naturally dyed bead to that bracelet head to the Merritt Store. They may have some to sell.
- Watch the brooms being made in the Broom Shop. Hand made from broom corn, this is certainly not an easy job!
- Visit the one-room School House and take your shopping list to the Merritt Store to compare prices of 1870.
- Of course, don’t forget to make your own candle in the Candle Shop.
- Listen closely for the “tap, tap, tap” on metal. The Black Smith Shop is open for business.
- Let’s not forget the man who kicks the wheel and throws a great mug or bowl in our Pottery Shop.
And that’s not all! You’re not done yet.
You will still need to visit the Natural History Building, the Firehouse, the Farm Tools Building, the Livery, the Wagon Shop, the Changing Exhibits Building, and the Visitors’ Center as well as the new Energy Building. And be sure a stop and check out the Barn and the goats. Of course the Gift Shop will be open with all of the great souvenirs.
To make reservations please call Lori Siccardi at 845-782-8248 ext 1 or e-mail [email protected] Once you are registered, Museum Village will then provide documents which must be returned with the deposit for reservations to be confirmed.
Cost is $11 per student. For every 10 students, one adult is free. Additional adults are $11. One to one aides and nurses are always free.
A non-refundable deposit of $50 per class is required to secure your reservation. The remainder is due on the day of the visit. Museum Village accepts cash, check, purchase order, Mastercard, Visa, American Express, or Discover card. If paying by check or credit/debit card, you must prepare ONE payment.
If cancellations are made three weeks before the scheduled trip, the deposit will be refunded less a $50 processing fee.
Please call for hours and availability. Museum Village school programs are available from 9:45 AM to 2:00 PM. Groups are scheduled September through November and April through June. The museum is closed December through March except for special events. Reservations may be made at any time and are first come first served basis.
What to wear:
Our programs are held rain or shine and some buildings are heated only with wood. Students will be out of doors between buildings frequently. Students should please dress appropriately for the weather.
Two chaperones are required for each class. One adult (teacher, parent) is admitted free for every 10 students. Additional chaperones are admitted at $11 each. One-on-one aides and nurses always get in free. If parents are paying their own admission their individual admissions should be collected into one sum prior to the visit. Parents traveling separately from field trip buses should arrive at their school’s check in time.
Students may pack a lunch or may purchase food from our Snack Bar, which has both indoor and outdoor seating. Please let museum staff know if you would like the Snack Bar to be open during your visit.
The museum gift shop carries a variety of educational materials and period toys in a range of prices starting at about $1. Please let museum staff know if you would like the gift shop to be open during your visit.
Teacher’s Guide to Museum Village
The Guide explains all of the buildings and includes thought-provoking questions for you to use before, during, and/or after your field trip. It is helpful to have a copy of this guide with you during your visit. Download Teachers’ Guide.
2017 School Programs Travel Grant (Must be an Orange County School)
Museum Village Travel Grant Application FINAL 2017
Lower Elementary Lesson Plan
Museum Village LOWER ELEMENTARY LESSON PLAN – Updated
Museum Village wrkst condensed – Updated
PASSPORT – updated